Monday, September 7, 2009

Maximus - Tiled Maximization in Window Maker



In the last few days I was more curious about the inner workings of Window Maker than that of Nature herself. I read a good amount of code and applied patches from others and a few of my own to my git repo and it was fun. Now that I am back to "Physics mode" I felt the need to write about a new feature of "my" Window Maker, the tiled maximization a.k.a. Maximus.

It all started when someone in the wmaker-dev mailing list asked for this new feature, and I realized that I would like that too (besides, I liked the name!). The idea is simple: to maximize an existing window to the greatest area without overlapping others (if any). It is quite useful in big widescreen monitors like the one I use at the institute.

Once I decided to code it, it took me 4 hours to come up with an algorithm and implement it in Window Maker. But I liked the result and I am already using it every day, so I am happy. You can see it in action in the screenshots above. The second picture is obtained from the first by maximizing the xterm using the new Maximus feature, which I defined to have a shortcut Alt+. This is an artificial example in my laptop's small screen, but you can see that it is cool :-)

No comments: